Well by special request I have been asked to describe the smells of my experience in Nepal so far. The answer is not a simple, short one, but a complex, diverse one. Getting off the plane I tried so hard to take in all the new sights and smells, but failed to notice anything substantially different. The air is so dusty and polluted, that for the first week or so, I had a hard time smelling anything cause my nose was so stopped up. But afterwards I noticed them more. Walking down the street, passing by all the open little shops, restaurants, and rivers. The river was the first smell. It’s basically gross. People bathe there, wash clothes, wash vehicles, and I’m pretty sure all drains lead there, so it smells like sewage. Same with certain fields we pass, one in particular, collects a big manure pile for fertilizer. There are few areas that smell like a dump, and garbage, some places smell like urine, some like fire and smoke, and lots smell immensely of incense.
BUT, there are so many good smells. All the restaurants we pass smell of curry, which I love. I’m learning the smells of many unique spices, lots of chilies, and roasted corn. There is simply so much to take in, but I mostly recognized the yummy spices and food smells, which lure me into their tables and chairs. Good thinking. Hope that description helps a little bit, I’m a huge fan of adjectives, so I’m surprised in this description that I didn’t use very many. ;)
BUT, there are so many good smells. All the restaurants we pass smell of curry, which I love. I’m learning the smells of many unique spices, lots of chilies, and roasted corn. There is simply so much to take in, but I mostly recognized the yummy spices and food smells, which lure me into their tables and chairs. Good thinking. Hope that description helps a little bit, I’m a huge fan of adjectives, so I’m surprised in this description that I didn’t use very many. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment